Nigerian Consul-General in South Africa, Ambassador Uche Ajulu-Okeke, said on Sunday that Nigerians
lost more than N21m Rand (1.2m) in the on-
going xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
Ajulu-Okeke told the News Agency of Nigeria by
phone from Johannesburg, South Africa, that the
loss included looted shops, burnt shops, two
burnt mechanic workshops, 11 burnt cars and
two stolen cars, among others.
“Nigerians have compiled the cost of the damage
to their property and it is totalling about 1.2m
Rand or N21m, which will be sent to the Federal
Government for further action,” the ambassador
said.
She said that two of the three Nigerians who
were wounded during the attacks in Durban had
been treated and discharged from the hospital.
The consul-general said that she would go back
t
o Durban to assess the situation on ground and
meet with the provincial authority on the security
of Nigerians in that province.
She said, “The Nigerian mission in South Africa
is on top of the situation. We are working hard
to protect Nigerians in South Africa.
“Though the task has not been easy but we are
trying our best. In one of the hot spots at Jeppe,
near Johannesburg, the mission assisted about
50 stranded Nigerians to re-settle.
“I have also visited the site of the attacks in
Johannesburg to assess the damage and it was
enormous.”
She
said the Nigerian mission would meet with
the Nigerian union chapters in the nine provinces
of South Africa to devise means of checking
further attacks.
“I am bringing all Nigerians together so that we
work out a vigilance and alert mechanism; they
will also tell me what their challenges and issues
are,’’ she said.
Okeke said the mission and the Nigerian Union
had been working together to meet the
challenges caused by the xenophobic attacks on
Nigerians
Share To:

Afolabi Folorunsho

Post A Comment:

0 comments so far,add yours

What do you think?